Always Tacos! Even Shrimp!

Saturday, December 10, 2016



I recently shared a picture on FB and IG of my lunch on a cold dreary day... shrimp tacos.  I had numerous comments, private messages and even emails asking if I would share my recipe.  I don't really have a recipe.  This is one of those things that many  years ago on the quest to make the "perfect" shrimp taco I came up with this.  It has been a hit in my family ever since.   So, today because it sounded good, I made more shrimp tacos and here's my little tutorial for you!






Start out with your ingredients which are:

1 ripe mango, diced
2 cups shredded cabbage 
Plenty of large raw (frozen) shrimp, peel on (you'll need four shrimp per taco)
1/2 cup coleslaw dressing 





And... last but definitely not least.... 

corn tortillas (do NOT buy the pre-cooked shells)




Heat 1 tablespoon of olive and 1 tablespoon of butter in a stainless steel skillet.





Add your peeled, washed and dried shrimp to the skillet.




Cook just a very few short minutes until the shrimp is very lightly pink.  It is okay if some of the shrimp are not fully pink yet.  Put a lid on the pan and remove from the burner.   (Do NOT overcook the shrimp.  They will get rubbery and will lose their flavor.)




Add the dressing to your cabbage mix.  I like my cabbage to be well moist with the dressing but definitely don't use as much as you would in making coleslaw.  You don't want it to over-power the shrimp and mango flavor.  Set aside.





Place oil in a hot cast iron skillet.  (Use vegetable oil, grape seed oil, or coconut oil.  NOT olive oil.)  Place a tortilla in the oil and let it fry on one side until the tortilla bubbles up a tiny bit.  This will only take 10 - 15 seconds in a hot skillet.   





Using a couple forks, fold the tortilla in half and let it fry on each side for a few more seconds.  Watch it closely, you don't want it to burn.  





Remove your tortilla from the skillet to a paper towel lined plate and turn it upside down to drain all the oil out of the tortilla.   




Once you've fried all your tortillas (approximately 3 - 4 per person), line up your ingredients and get ready to stuff your shells!




Open up your taco shell and place four shrimp inside.  (I usually cut one of them in half just to make it fit more uniformly, but you don't have to!)





Add a heaping tablespoon of lightly dressed cabbage mix.




Then a generous tablespoon of diced mango.





And there you have it.  Perfect shrimp tacos!  (And yes.  I can eat four of them!)





Happy eating!  I hope you enjoy them!


7 comments:

  1. You are so good to share the recipe - many thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HeyDoriKins, I saw the pic that day and used the inspiration for our SpMtg co supper! Turns out I actually did it all quite similar to your recipe here, but I thot that was pineapple! It went over very well and totally delish. I will follow this next time to try it a little diff . Thank for sharing❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling tropical are ya:). Looks scrumptious! Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dori, those look delicious and I think this recipe can be adapted to say... chicken. =D Bet it would be good with lobster, too. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have never thought of mango, but it sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my all time favorites From your kitchen! They tasted the very, very best in your little travel trailer with us 3 girlfriends tho! ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm those look delicious!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete