Quick Sewing Therapy!

Monday, June 6, 2016




As you can tell from the fact that I've let weeks go without blogging, summer arrived and the gardening and flower farming began!!!  I do have a whole lot to share with you on the goings-on here on the farm (Monthly Moos post coming up in a day or so I promise!) but today I'm going to share my new favorite project book!  It is called A Spoonful Of Sugar by Lisa Cox.  You can order it here.   I've read Lisa's blog for years and I love her creativity!





Those of you that know me, know that when I'm super busy or super stressed, the way to calm my nerves and make myself slow down is to sew!  And lately I've been needing to sew more than ever.  So, I've been on the hunt for some fast, easy and relaxing projects.  I found them in this book! 




I dug through my favorite pile of fabric scraps and pulled out some of my favorites... the Scrumptious line by Bonnie & Camille.  

I chose to make these darling little fabric baskets and got started.  




The instructions called for decorator weight fabric for the outside of the basket, and since my fabric was quilters cotton I used some interfacing stabilizer to stiffen it up a bit and it worked perfect.  




Instead of the little patches on the outside of the baskets, I quickly made a few little hexies and attached those with my sewing machine and added a little vintage button to each.  (Eldon said, "Those are the ugliest buttons I've ever seen"...  I'm thinking he doesn't know much about buttons!)




The baskets were so easy make, and the instructions were awesome to follow.  I had both of the little baskets finished in under an hour.




Do I know what I'm going to use them for?  Nope.  But I tossed in my handful of wonder clips and have it sitting next to my sewing machine.  Just the rainbow jewel colors in this darling basket are brightening my day!









 I've discovered for me that when life throws me curve balls and the stresses of life consume me, writing is the last thing I can do.  And sewing and creating is the first thing I want to do!  So it's not like I've been without projects lately!  Believe me, I've been busy.  Now, I just need to figure out how to write about them!  


But thank you, friends, for hanging in there for me.  I hope your summer is off to a very good start.  We've been super dry here in middle Tennessee and finally, finally the rains came this week and hope for a good flower season rose again.  


9 comments:

  1. Life doesn't come without those bumps and curves and it's wonderful that you can find such a beautiful distraction to help you through. God blessed you with such an amazing talent! Happy flower season :)
    Deni in NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good to hear from you again Dori! You were missed! I love the baskets. They could be used for so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheerful baskets to put notions and such in. That is what I was thinking, busy with the garden. Have a beautiful day Dori, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the results of your sewing therapy!! Those little fabric holders are fun, fresh, and adorable. I hope all of your flower gardens are thriving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Those baskets! I can think of so many good uses for them. What wonderful gift baskets filled with homemade treats, or a nail kit, spa kit, back-to-school kit, a place to house your homemade laundry soap, and so many other things! You are so talented with thread.
    Hope you get just the amount of rain you need to get your blooms goin'!
    Continued blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you took a little time for some sewing therapy. And the results are great! Cute baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy your sewing projects, thank you! Hope stress eases soon and your flower sales are super successful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cutest baskets ever! Hope you'll let us see your flowers...

    ReplyDelete